Sunday, October 19, 2008

What a weather change...great day for the Flea Market

Brrr...this is what I'm talking about!!! The temperature this morning at 7:30 am was 58 degrees...finally feeling like real Fall weather! We had mostly fair skies and a very chilly breeze for the entire day. My house never got above 70 degrees and outside, it managed to hit right at 80...that was in the sun.

We went to the Flea Market this morning...yesterday got hung up with hubby trying to finish his welding job for the neighbor....as it happened, he ran out of gas for the MIG welder so the job had to be put off until he can get more gas Monday. Always something.

Since I was wanting to try out the juicer it only made sense to head for the Farmer's Market...been a very long time since I've been out there. Can't believe how much of the produce is from out of state...I would have thought there would have been more local produce...that's how things used to be. Was hoping to pick up some apples....but they were just way higher than the store...sigh...and many were prepackaged just like those for sale in the local grocery. There were some nice looking plums and pears, but again, they were a bit pricey.

Got some nice Beefsteak Tomatoes from Tennessee...some cukes and some red and white grapes. Most of the produce was pretty pricey....we saw a large pumpkin similar to the ones we've bought in years past for Halloween....$28 for that! Dang...don't know where they are bringing them in from, but that's a bit much for something that won't last 24 hours in Florida heat once its cut. My girlfriend said WalMart had them for less than $5...she knows how I feel about WalMart. Not a store I tend to shop...but there are times when I will go there for certain things....usually camping stuff.

When we got home, I got the juicer set up and the fun began. My first juice was the grapes. Man they sure did make some awesome juice. The next juice was Tomato Cucumber. Now that was an interesting combination. Was very tasty, hubby really drank it up...even the 5 year old granddaughter was impressed with the grape and the TC juice. I froze the grape pulp and the TC pulp was put into a vegetable soup for tonight's supper. The cuke's really gave a different taste to the soup, which came out excellent. The juice is getting drank by both of us...figure I can drink my veggies and end up consuming more in this manner than trying to eat that many. I get full too fast when I'm eating unless I'm working like a field hand, which is rare at this point. So since I'm constantly carrying a glass of something around, might as well pick up my daily veggies in my glass. The recipe booklets that came with the juicer have some very cool combinations that I'm looking forward to trying. So far, I'm really impressed with this juicer. Like anything else in the kitchen, it's not entirely 'mess' free...got to clean the filter and the pulp container after each vegetable or fruit, but it would be that way with anything else too. It's pretty quick and very quiet...the guys were watching tv while I was juicing.

All in all, a pretty good end to a pretty good weekend...it's the 'good times' that I look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment