Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fall, Bikers and a Trip to the Flea Market

The cooler weather sure has made sleeping nice. I've been able to turn the fans off at night and even though the 'hum' of the fan doesn't really bother me, it's nice to hear the night sounds of nature without it. We dropped down to about 70 degrees last night, wasn't too bad for sleeping after the summer heat and high humidity. This morning the sky was pretty clear with lots of sun...this afternoon, it has become quite overcast with a fairly steady breeze. It's about 84 degrees at the moment and feels pretty warm in the sun, when it's not playing peek-a-boo through the cloud cover.

Figures we'd have a breeze going today and clouds as well....the weathercaster was showing today as one of those 'perfect' Florida Fall days....and also spouting about what a great weekend for all the Bikers in town for Biketoberfest. HA!! The wind however was in the forecast for today, with riptide warnings for any beachgoers as the wind is coming in from the ENE.

The oldest is here with the granddaughter...he's working on his truck and she's entertaining herself at the moment, or hanging with 'Pappaw'....he has her occupied elsewhere at the moment as he is in the middle of a small welding job for one of the neighbors.

Things are kinda quiet around here today. When the welding job is complete, I'm hoping to make a run up to the Flea Market and check out/purchase some fresh local produce. We were watching an Infomercial last Sunday and it happened to be one for the "Jack LaLanne Juicer"....I went online http://www.powerjuicer.com/index-pro.html and hubby and I decided to go ahead and buy one. It came yesterday and I'm dying to try it out.

Since our garden is done and everything it once held has been long since consumed....looks like I'll be purchasing the veggies and fruits instead. I can hardly wait! The produce we get at the local grocery chains, in my opinion, suck. No taste, or poor quality garbage....stuff I'd put on the compost pile myself...wouldn't even bother feeding it to the chickens. I'm not real sure 'why' the grocery store produce is so tasteless, but it is for that reason that I stopped buying anything other than potatoes or onions fresh. If the veggie doesn't taste like a veggie, why bother?

In addition to the fresh produce, I'm hoping we can maybe pick up some of the huge fresh shrimp we have gotten there before. They were awesome. Since it is Biketoberfest, there will probably be a fairly large crowd out there....but should be able to find some bargains with all the local merchants whining over how little the Bikers are spending this year. Seems like all the merchants really want is the cash the Bikers bring....they continue to whine about the noise, the crowds, etc....to the extent of saying 'we don't understand why we have to have two of these type events every year.' Give me a break!! Biketoberfest is fairly new....I think its been around maybe fifteen years or so...maybe less. But again, Bike Week has been an annual event for over 60 years here. Sounds to me like the whiners need to go back to wherever they moved here from.

No comments:

Post a Comment