Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Van work, Ants and muscle spasms...Oh My!

My day is starting slowly...was up by 6:30 am to spend a few minutes with hubby before he left for work. The air was almost chilly, the temp was hovering right at 75 degrees...amazing that I felt cool at that temp! I turned the fans on before the sun began to show through the trees...maybe it will stay nice like this the rest of the day. I think we are forecast to reach the low to mid 80's today. The lack of humidity in the air is most welcome....although as the sun bakes this swamp I call home, the steam factor will be felt.



Thanks to DJ at Heirloom Gardens, I've found a possible answer to the fire ant issue....besides setting the yard on fire. Her suggestion to Google Fire ants and Molasses was super! Found loads of information about using molasses to get rid of them pesky varmits....my only dilemma at this point...I love molasses myself...do I really want to give up this sticky sweet substance to those sorry ants?? My answer at this point, YES!!

After hubby came in for the evening and got all showered, we were sitting on the sofa and I noticed several 'ant blisters' on his heel...then his ankle...the top of his foot and even his toes...both feet!! I counted at least two dozen of these blisters last night...he said he got them standing on the front walk when one of the neighbors was down the other night. I ended up with three myself last night sitting out next to the walk while he was working on the van. This morning I felt something crawling on my leg and danged if it wasn't a sorry little ant...I was in the house sitting in my chair. GGGRRRR....They have got to go!!

The van is back together now....new shocks front and back, new exhaust system and the tires got rotated....no wonder his back and neck was spasming last night! He's been working on this for what, three or four days now? In addition, he's having to do 'grunt' work on his job....they are demolishing one of the schools and there's quite a bit of metal that has to be dealt with. His actual job is driver, not laborer. Took a pain pill and a muscle relaxer to help him get comfortable enough to sleep! This morning, he was still quite sore and catchy...but, he went on to work as usual. That reminds me....I need to have him call the neurologist and get him to write him another prescription for the pain meds...and the muscle relaxers. He's managed to make the last script stretch since Dec of 2005! Since he doesn't take them very often, there shouldn't be a problem getting this refilled by the Dr. He just hates to take meds and rarely takes any type of pill period. His pain, not mine! Me, I'd be on the phone begging for a refill...especially knowing the type of pain he's experiencing. SIGH...guess that's the price we pay for trying to deal with whatever life throws our way...work through the pain as long as possible and when that's as far as you can go, beg for pain meds to help you continue working longer.

Off and running to the bank to make the deposit I couldn't make yesterday and then a quick trip to the drug store on the way home to pick up another bottle of Advils...at least they take the edge off his pain and help keep my own aches and stiffness under control. Figures we'd be out of Advils and aspirin at the same time...that's a first! I always have some type of anti-inflammatory around.

5 comments:

  1. ...my only dilemma at this point...I love molasses myself...
    ROFL! I wondered about that. I thought of all the poor little molasses cookies that would never be made. LOL!

    I counted at least two dozen of these blisters last night...
    I would die! I hope the molasses does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>>I thought of all the poor little molasses cookies that would never be made<<< Hahaha...yep...but I also love it just like syrup or honey...straight into my mouth! I'm really worse than a little one about stuff like that...teehee!

    As for his blisters, they look ok...we pop them once the little 'white' pustule forms. Then the peroxide is able to do it's job. It's been our experience that once they have been opened they heal quicker and are less likely, for us anyway, to become infected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love it just like syrup or honey...straight into my mouth!
    LOL!!

    It's been our experience that once they have been opened they heal quicker and are less likely, for us anyway, to become infected.
    Eesh! I've never tried that. I did that with PI once and survived, so I'll have to keep that in mind next time I get an ant bite. I may not be as brave as you guys, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>>I did that with PI once and survived<<< hahaha...me too and I have the scars to prove it!! PI blisters need to remain intact as the liquid transfers the plant oils which cause it to spread. Ant bites contain an acid...I forget which one...formic?...I think that's the one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>>I did that with PI once and survived<<< hahaha...me too and I have the scars to prove it!!
    Oog! As bad as my PI rashes have been, I don't have any scars from them, not even from the time I scrubbed all their little tops off.

    PI blisters need to remain intact as the liquid transfers the plant oils which cause it to spread.
    That's what I used to think, until I learned otherwise. Apparently the blisters don't contain the plant oils and that's why scratching doesn't actually spread PI. If it looks like it's spreading when you scratch, it's just because you didn't get all the oils off to begin with, or you have it under your nails. I didn't know that until sort of recently, though... I had a full-body rash the time I took my chances and luffa-ed their tops off (5 yrs ago). I just couldn't take it anymore. LOL!

    Ant bites contain an acid...I forget which one...formic?...I think that's the one.
    Ick!

    ReplyDelete