Monday, October 13, 2008

Dog looking for a home...don't I wish

I left the house long enough to drive two and a half miles to the corner store and back...during that short time frame of maybe fifteen minutes total, one of the dogs...won't name names...BEAR...totally destroyed the forty pound bag of dog food that has been sitting in kitchen for the past four days. Wasn't because he was hungry...their bowls on the porch still had food in them when I put them in the house...it has been there all day!

NO, this bad boy is just being a jerk...and it's becoming more than I want to deal with. He's been busted with his face in the garbage numerous times recently and now it seems that every time I walk out the door he's going to destroy my house or at least make a huge mess. I'm more sure than ever that HE is the ring leader when we have discovered the furniture destroyed and trash shredded all over the house.

It is this reason that he has not been allowed to stay inside during the five years since we adopted him. He belonged to one of the boys and possibly even their mother...who knows the real truth there... With that in mind when we first got him, he was already two years old, I have worked with him and tried to be patient and as tolerant as possible. We kept him outside in our old front fenced yard with my old girl Gypsy and another of the boys' dogs that somehow ended up living with us. That was a huge yard for them, 75 feet across and right at thirty feet deep.

Since we've lived out here, we've had him in the pen, or chained and more recently, in the house. When we came back from vacation, my girlfriend said he had been very good while in the house, so we continued to let him stay inside with everyone else. I'd leave his silly ass run loose, but he refuses to stay inside the property lines and I can't afford to have him get hurt or worse, hurt someone or somone else's critters...too many horses and cows in our neighborhood for that.

Not to mention, he's being a very bad influence on the youngest dog Mojo. I have not had any problems with Mojo being in the trash or snatching things from the stove or counters. This dog is making me despise him by his actions. I don't think I've ever wanted to choke the life out of any animal, but Bear is putting me in that frame of mind. If I could find someone who could put up with his ignorant ways and would know he had a good home...his butt would be gone in less time than it takes to blink. He's not a stupid animal by no means...too intelligent for his own good actually...just damn hardheaded about tearing stuff up.

If I had been gone for hours and hours, yeah ok, I'd say he was bored....but less than fifteen minutes is more than I'm able to tolerate. Know it had to be him as that was a new bag of food...it wasn't just torn or chewed on...it was dragged to the middle of the living room floor and mauled. Paper shredded all over the floor and dry kibbles all around the bag. Most of the food was still inside the bag, he just shredded one entire side of the bag that's all....GRRRRRR.

Took me longer to get the food up off the floor than I was gone!! Hubby will have to figure out what to do with this animal....it isn't fair to keep him out in the pen alone....or on a chain in this swamp. When he's in the pen all he does is whine, howl and cry...day and night...which of course totally throws me in growl mode...and hubby as well....to the point of taking a gun out and putting him out of everyone's misery. I am at the end of my rope with him and sad to say he needs to find a new home. After five years of trying to retrain and correct his bad habits...I no longer have the patience to deal with him. He's worse than dealing with ten two year olds...and I surely don't have the patience for that!!

6 comments:

  1. one of the dogs...won't name names...BEAR...totally destroyed the forty pound bag of dog food that has been sitting in kitchen for the past four days
    ROFL! ROFL!

    I know it really wasn't funny, though. I know exactly what it's like to waste your time doing things that you ought not have to be doing. If you find a good place for him, ask them if they'd like a Chocolate Lab, too. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should just put an ad in the paper...

    Chocolate Lab free to good home. Husband free to any home.

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>>Chocolate Lab free to good home. Husband free to any home.<<<

    Oh now that is cute!!! Of course you could always list it as a take one get the other as a bonus!! But then you might run into the idea of someone only wanting one and you'd be stuck with the other....probably NOT the one you'd prefer....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. and you'd be stuck with the other....probably NOT the one you'd prefer....LOL
    Pfft, probably! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever you do, please don't resort to chaining your dog in the yard or keeping it in a cage. Too many people fail to see the abuse inherent in that practice, as perpetual chaining is so ingrained in certain parts of this country. Dops don't "mean" to be bad. If you can't handle the dog, yes, you are thinking correctly: find a new home for him. If you can't, I'd go so far as to say a trip to the shelter is preferrable to a life at the end of a chain or in a cage. See www.dogsdeservebetter.org and www.unchainyourdog.org. thanks for listening :) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I can agree that chaining the dog is not the best solution always...there are situations that require it. I've have various breeds, sizes and temperments with the dogs I've owned over the years. In some situations, not only has the animal had to be kept in a fenced yard, but chained inside the fenced yard due to the dog's repeated 'escapes' from the fenced yard. Personally, I'd rather see the dog chained than to see it get put down because it escaped while the owner was either at work or not where they could prevent the dog from doing something stupid...like chasing the little morons down and biting them after they have been in the DOG'S yard teasing and tormenting. We have had dogs on chains most of my life at one point or another, due to the leash laws. Personally, I wish I could chain some of the kids running wild and acting like idiots...same treatment the dogs get...maybe they would act differently then.
    My dogs are on five acres at the present and when they misbehave in my house, they are confined to the pen for a day or two.

    As for dogs not meaning to be bad...never underestimate an animal... dog, human or otherwise. Some animals are going to act ignorant, regardless of the love, affection, attention, or training they are given...just like your kids...some are going to act ignorant in spite of their upbringing.

    I understand the intelligence level of the animals in my life...believe me when I say I have had some pretty 'stupid' animals...but they were loved anyway for their unique personality. The dogs that currently live with us are treated like our children. They are scolded, pampered and loved on. If I could have chained my kids when they were misbehaving...they would have got the same treatment. My dogs are very well behaved...Bear has behaviour issues that makes living with him a challenge at times. That's why he's still with us...we rescued him to keep him from going to the pound five years ago. I understand his idiot ways, where some would opt for cruelty, I opt for reinforcement. He acts in a negative way, he goes back to the pen to 'think things over'...kinda like putting a kid in time out or grounding them to their room. He gets taken out of 'living with the family' and made to 'sit in solitary' for a few days.

    Thanks for your imput and for the links...Bear will be ok...he just needs a reminder.

    ReplyDelete