Thursday, September 25, 2008

What a difference...

Brrrrr....what a difference a few days makes!!  After the heavy heat we've had for the past six months, this is quite the change!  The humidity is low, the air is nice and refreshingly cool.  Woke this morning to temperatures of 66 degrees in the house and on the porch thermometers.  For the first time in months all of my fans are off and just the windows are open allowing the cool air to flow.  It could stay like this and I'd be ok with it...at least for awhile.

Hubby came in well after dark from the mowing job...he will be going back this evening to finish.  The property belongs to a friend, the same one who has given us the chickens.  The grass in his pasture is very thick and close to five feet high.  The highness isn't the problem for the brush hog mower, its the thickness of the growth.  We've mowed this property numerous times, but usually, I'm the one running the tractor.  Hubby has gotten annoyed with me in the past regarding how I've run the machine out there, but last night was saying HE actually had to stop and cool down the tractor as he was running it too hard.  Just the difference in how we operate it.  I have realized the grass out there is way thick in spots and as a result, I only use about a third of the deck as I make my pass.  Yes, it does mean that it will take me longer, but at the same time, I don't overheat the tractor either and it looks good when I'm done.  He made the comment that it was taking him about fifteen minutes each pass...which tells me he was trying to run it way too quick....and that's why he ran the tractor hot.  Our tractor is an old McCormick International circa 1959...sweet running and fairly strong, but come on, she's old!  He's fussed at me in the past about keeping an eye on the water when I'm on it and he knows when she's pushed hard she throws a fit....just like his wife...lol.  Guess I'll be meeting him over there tonight....means we'll have two vehicles as he will need his to drag the trailer home....but our friend is off today and I'm picking up a couple more hens from him...Rhode Island Reds...both laying.   The friend's work schedule and other things has resulted in him not having time to deal with the animals...that and the property has sold so he will be moving in the very near future.  His girlfriend isn't there all the time like she was, so the animals need new homes.  I'm tickled over the hens.  Might actually make a couple dollars selling the eggs...at least enough to cover the feed every month.  The other animals he has are pigs, a goat, a young bull, turkeys and more chickens.  I don't want the pigs, even though I think they are adorable, and the goat, well, maybe if I didn't have the dogs....but the goat was raised with a young pit bull and is a head butting fool.
The young bull, I'm not sure what he's doing with, it is a Black Angus...sweet natured, almost like a big puppy.  Most of these animals he was raising for food...I'm just not able to do that myself....if I have to feed it and bond with it, I sure can't bring myself to eat it.  At least not as long as I have the convenience and ability to go to the grocery and buy meat.  With things the way they are, I might eventually have to grow my own meat...

All the hot soapy dishwater yesterday sure has done a number on my hands...the skin is sooo dried out it's tight and shiny...need to find my hand lotion...wherever that might be...haven't needed it for some time now.
I did manage to get everything pulled out of that cabinet, washed and put away....finding a new spot for all that glassware wasn't easy.  Most of it ended up in the drawer beneath my stove.  I'd hate to find the cabinet pulled off these weak walls just because I loaded them with glassware...can you imagine the mess that would be??!!

Today I intend to work on my back room again.  The idea of setting the hammock up in there is making me want to get it cleaned out ASAP....I started to go grab the tape measure yesterday to get an idea of the space I'll be needing for it.  There isn't much furniture in that room....my desk, file cabinets and a six foot wide bookshelf is it....the desk and small file cabinet set on one wall, the two tall file cabinets set in the cubby between the closets and the bookshelf sets between the two windows on the outside wall.  Its the middle of the room that is totally full of junk....although at the moment, I can barely get to the desk, which sits just inside the door.  God forbid I should want to use the desk!!!...way too much junk stacked on it, in front of it, etc...and this is my little desk.  My big desk is out in the shed....no way it would begin to fit in that room.

So far this morning I've seen five deer up in the yard...three out back and two more off the front porch....I didn't pay attention when I opened the back door to go see why the chickens were squawking....Mojo, Bear and Spike all three began tearing towards the back pasture...about that time I spotted the deer.  So glad they mind so well and all three returned to the house when I called them back.  Hmmmph, seems hubby forgot to let the chickens out this morning as he left...that's what he normally does as he's going out to warm up his truck.  The girls were squawking to get out and Red had apparently just layed.  As I got their feed and closed the gate I noticed the dog crate sitting in the back of my truck...which means, he picked the crate off the back porch and walked right past the coop, forgetting the chickens.  Oh well, no harm...just kept them penned longer than they liked...I wouldn't have even been out there yet except for hearing the squawking.
Looks like the deer are wearing their fall colors now...instead of the tan, they are turning more to brown.

Finally got warmed up enough after the inital chill to unwrap myself from my favorite afghan...turned the fan on in the kitchen area to keep some of this nice cool air moving as the outside temperature begins to warm from the sun.....Looks like it will be a very beautiful Fall day.

No comments:

Post a Comment