Monday, September 15, 2008

Mowing is done...mountain colors on my mind...

We got the yard mowed yesterday afternoon. Hubby fired up the tractor and mowed the back pasture area, I hopped on the rider and cut the front and back yards. The new float sure did help!! I cut the entire 'house yard' on only one tank of gas! Thats just at 2 acres...usually it takes a tank and a half with that mower. I'm impressed!

The day remained gorgeous although quite hot...temperature hit 90 by the time we were in the middle of mowing. After all those weeks of standing water, I did discover why we 'smell' the mold in different areas... As I was mowing, I noticed some of the areas where the water stood the longest had a milky white growth right at dirt level....yup! That's good old mold forming under the tops of the weeds and grass, hidden a bit by the pinestraw. All the sun on these areas sure did allow the mold to begin. I'm hoping now that the grass has been cut, the mold will dry out and disappear. One of the articles I was reading over the weekend in the paper was about the state Ag dept's concern for the livestock in the flooded areas...had to do with the grass being destroyed by the floodwaters and the possibility of it not coming back and being 'soured' if it did return, which would make it inedible for the cows. Do we really need any more BAD news regarding the effects of the flooding? I'm sure those who raise livestock for a living have already considered these things....and people think farming is so easy. Guess it is if you don't mind watching your hard work float away, along with your bank account. Just trying to keep a few vegetables for our own table has reduced me to tears this year. Must not have the 'farm' gene...can't handle what nature throws my way when it decides to destroy my little patch.

Talked to hubby about wanting to head up to the mountain in October for the fall color...its been years since I've been truly homesick for the mountains in the fall, but this has been an exceptional year all around. I feel the need to see the brilliant blaze of color on the mountains....I'm really tired of 'green'. He is saying ok and working on the van so it can be used instead of my little Dakota. Makes me nervous taking the van as we haven't really had it out on a long roadtrip...just be making sure my AAA card is in my possession and paid up! The cost for fuel is going to be higher in the van as well since it gets less per mile.

3 comments:

  1. We got the yard mowed yesterday afternoon.
    Now if one of you could just come do mine. I am not feeling that motivated. LOL!

    As I was mowing, I noticed some of the areas where the water stood the longest had a milky white growth right at dirt level....yup! That's good old mold forming under the tops of the weeds and grass
    Eeeww! Uck.

    Do we really need any more BAD news regarding the effects of the flooding?
    Wow, well, I guess they can lump that in there with concerns that Ike may have trashed the corn and soybean crops out west. It never ends.

    I'm really tired of 'green'.
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess its anything to hike the prices of food and fuel nowadays!

    Wasn't feeling motivated to cut the yard...getting a bit edgy about the idea of NOT being able to see snakes! We just have too many vipers in our area not be aware of them and high grass is perfect hunting grounds for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. getting a bit edgy about the idea of NOT being able to see snakes!
    LOL!

    We just have too many vipers in our area not be aware of them and high grass is perfect hunting grounds for them!
    Eeek, run awaaaaayyyyy!! LOL. I forgot about the rattlesnakes. I'm so glad I never came up against one. I saw plenty of the black snakes when we lived there and that was startling enough. LOL. My friend in NSB said the baby black snakes used to come out in the spring and just completely carpet the sidewalks there. I would have moved. LOL!

    ReplyDelete