Sunday, September 14, 2008

Spots...

Another cool start to what promises to be another beautiful day...the early temperature at 8 am was right around 75 degrees. The humidity is low at the moment and the air feels nice.

As I went out the back door this morning to let the chickens out, Mojo of course went with me, there was a Doe and young spotted fawn right off the back porch...Mojo started after them, and I hollered 'NO'...he stopped and came to where I was...the two deer stopped just on the inside of the pasture fence and just stared at us. I went ahead and let the chickens out, Mojo found a squirrel to chase out front while I was in the chicken pen. By the time I was ready to head back inside, the deer had wandered on. Just thought it was pretty cool that when I said no, Mojo obeyed and the deer stayed. They are beginning to get their dark fall coloring now.

Was thinking the other day after reading Flowerfreak's blog, I haven't seen the Turkeys lately. Usually, we have a flock of probably two dozen or so that hang in the neighborhood. I haven't noticed them being around since we started getting all the rain and standing water. Hope they are ok, there were still a couple of young ones a month or so ago...seems like an eternity since we started dealing with all the water.

Hubby got the parts for the mower, it fired right up when he was done. Too bad it was almost dark...looks like I'll be mowing today instead.

9 comments:

  1. That's interesting. I don't think I ever saw a turkey in FL. I saw three or four turkeys in our neighbor's yard across the road yesterday. Also, when we were coming back home from yesterday's outing, an otter ran across the road in front of us. It's a good thing my husband said what it was because my mind drew a blank. Must have been the Friendly's ice cream sugar rush hampering my neurons. All I could think was that it was way too big for a squirrel. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>> don't think I ever saw a turkey in FL<<< I was surprised to learn we have so many this close to town. Right after we moved out here, there was a black bear killed in town about three miles from us...got hit This is the rural end of Daytona Beach and its really been developed in the last ten years. So sad the animals are being displaced.
    >>>my mind drew a blank. <<< Don't ya hate when that happens? Know what you mean though about the the sugar rush gumming up the works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there was a black bear killed in town about three miles from us... Huh. I don't think I ever saw one of those there, either. I know they're around, though. We did see dog-size deer (LOL!) and those endangered tortoises. I know my Mom gets bobcats in her yard. That's a little too exciting. Oh, ick, and the wild boars. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... I almost forgot about the armadillos. That's about the last thing I had ever expected to see in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should say that about the armadillos....I hit one as I drove from Jax to Daytona when I first came to Florida! Made a terrible crunching sound and I only clipped it!...My car was brand new and I could only think about the damage...fortunately, the car was ok...not so for the armadillo I'm afraid.

    I was surprised to hear of the bear getting hit out here...they are more common west of this area towards the Ocala forest. I truly didn't think we were 'that' far out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What area is your mom in? My sis lives south of us in Edgewater, I know they get the panther activity in that area occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor armadillo. I would think that must have sounded like a bomb going off under your car. Ick.

    My Mom is in Bradenton. I also have a friend that lives in New Smyrna Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool!! Don't know anyone personally in Bradenton, had a friend with kin there a few years ago. Ahhh, New Smyrna Beach...that's where I lived when I first came to Florida. Know the area well, although any more I don't know many of the people since I've been living in the Daytona area for the past seventeen years.

    The armadillo DID sound like a major crunch as it got clipped...was a pretty good sized one too, considering I was driving a Hyundai hatchback!

    ReplyDelete
  9. was a pretty good sized one too, considering I was driving a Hyundai hatchback
    ROFL! So now we know what happens when two armadillos collide. LOL!

    ReplyDelete