Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Window Wars Begin

Had to laugh last night when hubby came inside for the evening...the temperature was still above 70 degrees, but the humidity was way below 50%....he came inside stating that 'it feels like it's going to get colder than last night'...HA!! This from the man who never wears a jacket unless the temperature is in the 30's and 40's.
I still had the windows open and the house was just above 75 degrees. Felt really nice to me.

Our overnight low was around 58 degrees...when I finally dragged out of bed at 8:30 am, the house was a chilly 60 degrees and the outside temp had already hit 70 degrees. When I happened to be in our bathroom, I noticed the space heater had been plugged in....hmmm, he must have really been cold this morning when he got up. That thing hasn't been on or even plugged in since Feb or March. Sure is a change from our 'normal' routine...usually I'M the frozen popsicle that's trying to thaw. I have to laugh because for years we've been having the 'window wars' this time of year. I want them closed, he wants them open even after I've turned the heat on! He's really in for a big surprise this year as I am enjoying the cooler temperatures and have no intent of kicking the heat on anytime soon.

Looking back, I remember when I lived in Indiana and the temperatures would finally hit in the 60's in the Spring...I'd be stripping off clothes, digging out the shorts and summer wear. Of course that was normally after spending the winter months in layer after layer of clothes during the sub-zero temps. Even in the Fall, mom never bothered to turn the heat on until the temps started dropping below fifty degrees...we were ready for the cooler, lower humidity after the scorching summers with no A/C. I even recall in High School during Christmas break and Spring break when people would head down to Florida and return laughing because 'those silly people were running around in heavy winter coats' during 60 plus degree weather.

Having lived down here for over twenty years, I am way more understanding of this type of behaviour now. After all, we spend over nine months in above 80 degree heat with some pretty high humidity. Some years, we begin this 'heat wave' as early as February and it hangs on through November.

At this time in my life, I am welcoming the cooler temperatures this year. The heat and humidity is beginning to 'get very old'....of course, I ain't no spring chicken anymore myself either, and that's just one more reason to welcome the cooler temps. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment