Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Old Friends and dangerous cake recipe

Recently, we heard from a couple who used to live up the street from us when the boys were young. For the first ten years hubby and I were together, this couple were close friends and their kids and ours were more like siblings. A few years ago, they had moved to another town north of here, about an hour away. The friendship kinda got put on the back burner at that time and we gradually lost touch. Then they decided to move back in to our old neighborhood and our boys were still in that area, so they kept in touch through the kids at that time.

We haven't been to visit nor have they been here to visit for over two years....they came out right about the end of our first year here and we had went to their house before they moved back in town about the same time.

Last night we finally got a chance to go for a nice visit with them. It was really nice being around people who we have both known for almost twenty years now. Usually, it's people hubby has known for years, before we met, or people I have known for years, before we met.

We all get along really well and are looking forward to getting together again soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally gave the 'world's most dangerous cake' recipe another go...this time though, I left out the cocoa and substituted Lemon extract for the vanilla and chocolate. It came out pretty tasty but I think maybe Lemon Juice would be better than the extract. Hubby really enjoyed this version and we wiped it out before we finished watching the news.....just what I need to be doing before I go to bed....snacking. LOL
As I was relaxing and trying to clear my mind as I lay in bed all I could think about was variations on the recipe for this cake. The next one I do, I think I'll see if I can give it the topping like my cinnamon coffee cake recipe. Way too many tempting things I'm wanting to try with this recipe now!! It's so quick and easy that I can already foresee me having to really watch myself or I will be gaining waaaayyy too much weight!! But it made such a tasty snack!
I'll be passing this recipe along to my sis and friends along with my own variations as I try them out.

4 comments:

  1. [as I lay in bed all I could think about was variations on the recipe for this cake]
    ROFL!

    [The next one I do, I think I'll see if I can give it the topping like my cinnamon coffee cake recipe.]
    Oh, yum! Now that is a very dangerous thought. I'd thought about putting cherry pie filling on top of the chocolate cake next time I made it (which won't be any time soon because I scarfed up the last of the chocolate chips all by themselves yesterday - probably half a bag!), but now you've got me thinking of things like 5 minutes to peaches and pears and pineapple upside down cakes, oh my! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I did make the cinnamon cake last night...OMG!! It turned out awesome! ROFL...yeah, cherry pie filling on top of chocolate...drool...lol

    Like you, I'm thinking about all kinds of stuff to try with this recipe. What about apples/applesauce? ROFL...too many variations! Hubby is liking this recipe quite a bit as I don't tend to keep snacks around the house and this takes such little time to make...and eat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. [Well, I did make the cinnamon cake last night...OMG!! It turned out awesome! ROFL...]
    Mmmm! I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing that we didn't know about this recipe sooner. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm, toss up on that one!! I'll let you know how much weight I've gained by Christmas...hahahaha

    ReplyDelete