Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!!

It's Halloween morning...our temperatures are much closer to our normal this morning...at 7 am the porch thermometer showed 64 degrees. The humidity remains fairly low, making the temps feel cooler. Its all good for me...I'm just glad to be warm again! I know, all I've done lately is whine about the heat...WAH!!! But the early cold was a major wake-up call for me! I am definitely NOT ready to live in cold country...yet...grin.

At the moment, our skies are heavy with dark, ominous clouds...hope it doesn't spoil the fun for the kids tonight. We don't have but a few little ones on our road and as the majority of the homes sit back off the road with 200 foot driveways, the parents tend to drive the kids up to the houses that are decorated. For only a very small handful of kids, I just don't feel like it's worth the extra effort....and then of course there are my dogs that would have to be dealt with.

When we lived in town I decorated the house every year...Halloween has always been my favorite 'holiday'...and we did the pumpkin carving and treats. We also usually had a gathering at our house to celebrate the night and always had a nice fire, good friends and food. The neighborhood kids were usually about finished by the time we began our celebration...I'd shut the lights off and we'd head out back once the candy was gone. Seems like every year the crowd got smaller as more parents either planned parties or took the kids to the more 'upscale' neighborhoods for treats. Just too many 'mean spirited' people in the world nowadays to allow the kids to roam the streets like we did many years ago. Of course the sheenanigans some of the teens have pulled like vandalising cars, businesses and homes has also created its own set of problems for Halloween. And then there are all of the 'religious' issues against allowing the kids to celebrate this so called 'devil day'. Puulleeesse...get over it already. That mentality makes me mental.

If you don't want to allow YOUR kids out, don't. But don't push your beliefs down everyone else's throat...it's for the kids, not you. Don't participate if you feel its against your beliefs, but don't try to keep the rest of us from celebrating the day. For some of us, this is a very 'special' time of year. Keep your religion out of mine. I don't make fun of your religion or even expect you to understand my religious beliefs...but I do expect the same respect be given to days I hold sacred as you expect for yours. Stepping down from my soapbox, now that I've 'outed' myself...yes, I follow a Pagan belief.

Now that I'm through with my thoughts on the day itself, I hope everyone has a very safe, enjoyable Halloween. We will probably get the fire going in the firepit tonight and spend some time outside enjoying the night, as long as the rain decides to hold off. I'm making chili for our supper tonight, with fresh, hot cornbread....mmmm, yum....just what the 'cooler weather' calls for.

No comments:

Post a Comment