Friday, September 26, 2008

New hens...silly dogs

It's just past 3 pm...the temperature is around 86 degrees...whew!  Without the blowing wind we have been having, it's a bit warm. 

Went out to check on the new girls and gave them a bit more feed and some fresh water.  They seem content to be out in the garden for now.  While I was out there I was trying to decide what to call them...have finally found their names....the darkest one with the little flipped comb shall be called "Henny Penny"...the lighter one shall be "Chica Patty"...was so cute watching them as I called these names....Chica Patty came right to me the first time I said the name....Henny Penny perked her head up and looked my was as if to ask "yes, what do you want" when I called that name.  They are supposed to be Rhode Island Reds....guess we shall see.  Judging from their legs, they will be one of the larger breeds...thick yellow legs like Ms Piggy on both.  Ms Red has thinner whitish looking legs, not quite as small as Barney's but nothing like Ms Piggy's.

After checking on the hens and giving everyone water, I came back inside and figured I'd go check the mail.  So I asked the dogs who wanted to go check the mail, just like I do everyday.  Of course everyone starts bouncing and getting excited.  As I opened the door and Mojo and Bear shot out across the yard....I happened to notice the small herd of deer next to the woods.  Hadn't paid any attention when I walked out on the porch, but figured Bear and Mojo were chasing off after squirrels.   Immediately I began to call them back as I watched the spooked deer leaping for the safety of the trees.  About wet my pants as I stood there watching my crazy dogs flying towards the deer, and suddenly seeing Mojo wipe out as he tried to cut back too fast in a different direction.  Bear ran to just inside the treeline before he turned around and came back to the porch.  Mojo came back with one of those "you didn't see that...did you?" looks...as if he was a bit embarrassed by his wipeout.  Since they are not allowed to chase anything but the squirrels, no one got to make the trip out to the mailbox.  Instead, they all got a time out on the porch. Silly dogs...

No comments:

Post a Comment