Friday, August 29, 2008

The waiting game...

Today is going to be a waiting game...yesterday I began having trouble with my phone...since it is part of a "bundled" service through the cable company, I put in a call for service....What a pain in the neck that was!

First, my home phone had no dial tone...wouldn't have noticed except that I was using the phone when it went out. Ok, did all the usual trouble shooting things...recycled the modem, unplugged then replugged and recycled the thing several times...checked to see if I had a cable signal...that was fine...then the phone would work for a few minutes and out again. GRRRRR.

Since the cable company is one of the numbers I always need, it is programmed into my cell phone, the same as the electric company. Got the recorded operator on my cell...get the call transferred to the tech line...rings a couple of times and hangs me up...redial go through the same thing about six times before I finally give up using the cell...just wasting my minutes at this point and only making me agitated. Try the house phone again...dial tone is present, so I dial 611 which is the repair number from the house phone...four times of being transferred to the tech before I finally get a 'live' person. By this time I'm on the edge of losing control. I let them know I'm having a problem with the phone dropping calls worse than my cell phone. The tech person gives me an appointment for a service call...they should be here sometime today between 10 am this morning and 1 pm this afternoon. Yippee...probably show up at 12:59 pm.

In the meantime, the phone is working like normal...I guess...not trying to use it at the moment.
But, when the tech gets here, I think I'm going to have them swap out the modem...that thing is supposed to have a battery backup for when the power goes out...when my power is out, so is my phone....not good. I'd go back to the phone company for service, but, I don't care for their calling plans. I've got nationwide long distance on my cable phone for less than forty bucks a month....the phone company in this area has nothing to compare....and I refuse to go to a 'dish' setup for the television.

The day is promising to be a very hot, muggy disgusting day. At the moment, it is overcast and very humid. The temperature is already 82 degrees at 10am. Feels like 90 to me.

Began working on some of the house chores earlier...gag...choke...bout knocked myself out using bleach on the walls in the shower. WHHEEWWW...can smell the chlorine all through the house now! The water has so much iron that it stains the walls in the shower...and with the humidity, it makes the black mildew grow on the wall and the shower curtain...a little bleach does wonders for this stuff, but is hell on the respiratory system. I'll be smelling bleach now the rest of the day!

There is still laundry to deal with, I just hate heating the house during the day by using the dryer...besides, with the humidity outside it takes the clothes longer to dry during the day. At this rate, it will be Christmas before I'm caught up!! Usually, I just do hubby's work clothes and wait until I am down to my last clean items before I begin mine. Not like I'm doing a lot, so I tend to wear my jeans several times before washing them. We re-use our towels several times as well...its the things like hand towels that get grundgy, bed linens, comforters, and such that I need to get done, but am waiting til the weather cools some before I jump into 'heavy' cleaning...the bed linens being a top priority as the weather is so yucky...those get done regular...thankfully, I have a good supply of towels, but now, I'm beginning to run low, so they need done. With the storm dumping so much water, I didn't do hardly any laundry until this week....fortunately, our new washer uses very little water so I am not as worried about overloading the septic....high water makes me nervous about adding more to the already waterlogged septic system.

Well, HURRAY!!! Here it is 11 am and the cable service tech is here...working on the outside connection at this time and has already checked out everything inside...says he's replacing the modem for sure...woohoo!...Let's see if it helps.

3 comments:

  1. ...get the call transferred to the tech line...rings a couple of times and hangs me up...redial go through the same thing about six times before I finally give up using the cell...just wasting my minutes at this point and only making me agitated. I know that wasn't funny to go through, but ROFL!

    WHHEEWWW...can smell the chlorine all through the house now! Ugh, that is one smell I can do without. I am getting spoiled on the farm as far as that goes (no chlorine in the drinking water). The next to last time that we were at Friendly's, I asked for a glass of water. Gag! The chlorine made my nose burn. I took about three sips and that was all I could handle. I almost ordered water again the last time, but then I remembered. LOL. The thought of it permeating the house... whew, makes my nose tingle. LOL!

    Not like I'm doing a lot, so I tend to wear my jeans several times before washing them. *snort* LOL! I'll wear mine several times even if I am doing a lot. I think it's a silent rebellion sort of thing. LOL!

    We re-use our towels several times as well...its the things like hand towels that get grundgy, bed linens, comforters, and such that I need to get done You're supposed to wash those things?! HAHAHA!!! :-)

    Well, HURRAY!!! Here it is 11 am and the cable service tech is here... Oh, wow, miracles never cease! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back, you are right...it was humorous about the calls...aggravating...but humorous..

    As for the chlorine...thankfully I don't use it often...but its one of the few things I know that will keep the mildew down...I hate the taste in the water myself...but we are on a well system out here too...got to filter the water at the tap because of the heavy iron taste.....deja vue of living in the Midwest as a kid...nasty sulphur and Iron in the water...ick.

    I agree about the rebellion thing...nice to know I'm not alone!

    Was totally amazed the cable tech was so early...

    ReplyDelete