Friday, August 22, 2008

Drained....

It's almost 11 pm on Friday night. After a week of dealing with first the possibility of a hurricane, then the reality of the tropical storm that refused to move on, I'm feeling a bit exhausted. Of course I know that the wee hours of sleep being interrupted by the sounds of blowing rain is a huge factor in how I feel. This is our first tropical system since we have moved out here and definitely our first experience with something such as this while living in a tincan.
All in all, it truly hasn't been bad...this time. We seem to have two more systems working their way in our direction....still a ways out, but growing and building as they head our direction. This is part of what I despise about the weather people. Give us a break already before you start overloading us with anxiety about more storms...especially since they are both a very good distance away. Fer cryin out loud, we've just been blasted by five days of rain and it still is hanging around drowning the areas where it first landed with the tip of its tail as she swirls out towards the panhandle area.

Any time we have severe weather, I am one who is pacing the floors, going window to window, keeping watch for signs of dangerous or threatening weather heading towards us. I watch the sky, the trees and listen...waiting for the least sign. Hubby is so laid back and relaxed about these types of storms that unless I just absolutely start freaking out about how things are beginning to look weatherwise, he tends to ignore them.

Holy mother of god! Fay is in the gulf now, just switched the news on...she seems to be close to the panhandle coastline...I feel for everyone in her path. Over the gulf she could grow stronger and become even more of a problem to others. Originally, the forecast called for her to go on up into Georgia or maybe even into Alabama...could still happen, but not if she decides to hang out and play on the panhandle beaches the same way she hung out on the east coast beaches. Her tail is still whipping the east coast area from Melbourne to Jacksonville. We are still under flood watches from the rain still falling.

As soon as the adreneline rush is over, I'll really be a whipped pup. I'm already feeling the energy begin to drain. Too many days stuck inside with grey drippy weather outside. Couldn't get to the chicken coop for all the heavy rain the past two days. Finally got out there this afternoon when the rains let up. The doors are swollen from all the water and somewhat difficult to open. The food dish was empty and the water dish was bone dry...poor babies...I just penned them with the food and water Tuesday night...so maybe they were only out for a few hours. They seemed alright when I refilled the dishes...at least its dry and comfy in there.

We're all beginning to get a touch of 'cabin fever' from all this rain. Hubby is so bored he's taking naps most of the afternoon and then he's ready for bed by 10 pm...I've been up by 5:30 am and still wide awake at midnight. Sigh, I'll be glad when the adrenaline is gone so I can relax....

7 comments:

  1. What an episode! And more rain on the way. Poor people, chickies, and pups. What a sorry lot you must look. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty soggy and bedraggled for the most part...lol I think I'm beginning to see 'webs' between my toes and 'scales' forming...hahaha

    Starting to see real sunshine for the first time in what seems like forever! Downside...now its becoming steamy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apparently still have spiders on the brain, so I'll let you figure out what I was picturing when you said you're beginning to see 'webs' between your toes. Ick. LOL! Good thing you mentioned 'scales', or I'd still be wondering about the webs. LOL!

    Ugh, I would think the steam is going to get pretty horrid. I can see you all now, all cooped up, scratching at the walls like a bunch of crabs in a little tin pot. LOL! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha, figured when I mentioned water that the 'webs' would automatically be taken as 'webbed' as in duck feet...teehee, never even thought about spiders.

    Hubby finally is able to get outside and out from under foot...I swear he's as bad as a toddler for being 'needy' when he's stuck inside. Can't fix his own food or anything else. LOL...be so glad when he returns to work Monday!

    The 'steam factor' is definitely beginning...whew! Got a instant 'sauna' the minute you step outside.

    My 'tin pot' at least has A/C and the electric is on!! I'd be way miserable without it...hahaha. Heat index today is said to be around 98...feels that way for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet Monday seems like an eternity away. LOL!

    Whew, 98 heat index. And to think it's only supposed to be 49 degrees here tomorrow night. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, 49 already...nope, thanks, I don't miss any of THAT kind of weather!! LOL...today's heat index is supposed to be around 100...uuuggghhh, I'm meeellltttiinngg!! Bout to form my own 'puddle' from the heat...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. today's heat index is supposed to be around 100...uuuggghhh, I'm meeellltttiinngg!! LOL! How hot/cold can it get on your mountain?

    ReplyDelete